Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

At about 2200 hrs on Saturday 6th December, at the end of the working day, a tumble dryer was unloaded at the leisure centre situated in the lower floors of the hotel. CCTV footage showed that at about 0300 on Sunday 7th, a fire started in a laundry basket due to spontaneous combustion of the drying towelling material.

The fire alarm alerted staff and guests to the situation and one sprinkler head activated to suppress/extinguish the fire before the arrival of West Midlands Fire Service personnel.

Further information is awaited.


BAFSA Comment:

This is the fourth recent incident of which we are aware where a fire has started in laundered towels – it is likely that some oily residue may have been present in this incident, the most likely source would have been massage or aromatheray oil.

Those responsible for managing fire safety in hotels or day spas should be alerted to this hazard.

Posted on: Friday 12 December 2014

Comments are closed.