Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

South Wales FRS attended a fire in a freezer unit located in the kitchen of a 2 storey School.  3 appliances were mobilised to the school measuring approximately 60x30m and opened in July 2013.  A single sprinkler head activated and was sufficient to extinguish the fire. There was only slight damage in the kitchen area.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

An elderly man had a lucky escape from a fire caused by a cigarette in his flat thanks to a sprinkler system. Sutton firefighters were called to a fire at the residential care home in Mickleham Gardens in Cheam on 23 November. Luckily the man had already escaped the flat and his sprinkler system had put out most of… Read more »

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

BAFSA has received several enquiries in recent weeks regarding the efficacy of BS 9251 sprinkler systems against fires involving deep fat frying.  Questioners appear to be confused by publicity urging householders ‘not to throw cups of water on to chip pan fires’. It’s long been known that sprinklers are highly effective against cooking oil and… Read more »

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

A report published by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch makes it clear that press reports regarding the actuation of the tunnel’s AFSS were inaccurate. The only firefighting activity was by the French fire team and the report suggests that it took more than three hours to bring the fire under control. The fire completely consumed… Read more »

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

BAFSA works with other Sprinkler Coordination Group Members including the National Fire Sprinkler Network, CFOA, the insurers and the sprinkler industry to ensure that fires involving sprinkler acivations are recorded and analysed. Steve Mills has collated the information received during 2014 and put it into the attached pdf/ spreadsheet format. We hope this will be… Read more »

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

Humberside FRS reports that on Monday 16th February 2015 a fire occurred in a compressor room at a North Lincolnshire food processing factory. The fire started in a compressor motor in the 15m x 10m room at the plant. The sprinklers in the room activated to extinguish the fire which was recorded as being ‘out… Read more »